To add to the list of green projects and good news happening in Baltimore, a non profit group is now planning a one of a kind multi-faceted Green Campus in the east of Baltimore.
The plan includes converting barren land into a high yield food production and old buildings into new educational and economic engines for the community.
“The Baltimore Food Hub is a planned campus of facilities, services, and programs focused on enhancing Baltimore’s local food economy. Supported by a team of business partners, nonprofit organizations, state and local agencies, the vision is to build a vibrant local food system that creates employment and entrepreneurship opportunities.
The Food Hub will be located at 1801 E. Oliver Street, a 3.5-acre campus containing the historic Eastern Pumping Station—glorious though sadly decayed 19th-century buildings that will be brought back to life. The Food Hub will play a major role in revitalizing East Baltimore, creating jobs and opportunities for neighborhood, while serving as an asset that will benefit the city and region.”
Green Resource Center in Charm City
What is included is aimed to improve individuals, organizations, and young company’s access to fresh produce and new marketplaces, educational opportunities, and resources. The center wil include a:
- Food Business Incubator, which gives access to a commercial kitchen and for young producers of food items.
- Office Space for food based businesses and non profits.
- Job Training for sustainability and healthy food based opportunities.
- Urban Farming, grown by a non profit, sold at a farmers market there in town, bringing high quality local produce to a relative food desert.
- Teaching Garden, bringing public and charter school students from all populations to partake in “edible classroom” lessons.
- Production kitchen for innovative local food advocate, expert, and award winning chef, Spike Gjerde.
- Garden center and farm stand where people can find garden tools, starter plants, and fresh produce.
Check this out: http://www.baltimorefoodhub.com/