Many consumers and home owners overlook the major savings possible when you go green. Believe it or not there is hundreds of extra dollars that can be accumulated through buying and conserving in an environmentally conscious way. Through practicing the old three R’s “Reduce, Reuse, & Recycle” you can save a substantial amount of money. Below is a list of the most effective methods to go green and save big in your home.
• Strive not to over utilize your air conditioning units during the summer. Invest in ceiling fans and open windows on cooler days.
• Switch off lights in your home when you’re not in the room. It saves power and the bill.
• Install energy saving efficient light bulbs and try to incorporate as much natural sunlight into your home as possible.
• Use double sided skylights.
• During cold weather apply weather strips to doors and windows.
• If it’s room in your budget consider alternative home energy sources such as solar and wind sustainable powered energy.
• Instead of standard buy sustainable home products.
• Gather up your old electronics and recycle them. Some stores give you discounts or free upgrades when you recycle certain items like cellular phones.
• Purchase organic healthy foods. Although, it may seem to be pricey in the long term it will save you money than buying processed foods that can make you potentially sick.
• Take the time to routinely clean your refrigerator gasket.
• Invest in an eco-friendly showerhead with low pressure.
• Invest in a flash water heater to save half on your heating utility bill.
• Don’t buy disposable towels and napkins. Use cloth versions instead.
• When it’s possible cook in your toaster oven instead of your regular oven. It saves on energy.
• Set-up a solar water heater on your roof. This investment can earn you tax credit.
• Unless you have a certified energy efficient dishwasher try to wash dishes and dry by hand.
• Shut off your computer printer when its not in use. At night before bed shut off home PC from the power-strip to reduce waste.
• Recycle florescent light bulbs at local hardware stores to help the environment.
Remember, there is always something you can do to conserve and save around the house. Add two or more of these savvy green tips to your daily life and make a positive impact on the world.
Smart Energy Technology: www.OrganicMechanic.com